Monday, March 22, 2010

Just another Random Thought I had to Log cause I couldn't sleep until I did....


Ok, so I was lying in bed this morning thinking about the books I write and being frustrated at how everyone is making money off of them.... Except me.  So I started think about how I could 'fix' this problem, at least with the books I am only half hearted about right now, like 'Angel and the Dragon', my Emma Moon book.  First of all, that book needed some major editing done to it.  Although the story was good, the grammar... well, let's just say that it really needed some work.  Even though I did not pay to have the book published, despite sales, the publisher has not sent me any commission, except on the two books I bought directly from them.  Gee, how kind of them.



Anyhow, while thinking about it this morning, I thought, 'What if I re-write the book, re-title the book and re-pen name the book.  Under copyright laws, I need only change 20% of the book in order to republish it.  Well, that is easy enough to do."  My next thought was, "How do I market it, so that 'I' make a profit on my work, instead of everyone else?"  Then it dawned on me that I could actually do several things that did not involve going through an actual publisher, unless I really wanted to.  First, I could publish it on Amazon Kindle, it won't cost me anything but a small commission for each sale and I get to name the price.  I also could sell it as an E-Book at almost 100% profit at a reasonable price.  Also, if I get really savvy, I could make an audio book of it and sell that online as well, in either digital format or on a disc.

So with that said, it would deny people of an actual book, unless I decide to use Amazon or some other Company to print it, but I could sell it for much less and actually make a better profit off all of my hard work.  In otherwords, I will be the one profiting from my work, instead of everyone else.

Well, now that I got that off my mind.... I hope, lol, maybe I can go back to bed and go back to sleep before the kids wake up.  If you have suggestions or feed back on this idea, please feel free to let me know what you think <3

3 comments:

  1. You know that I don't know anything about this stuff but I hope that is works!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have another publisher interested in picking this book up but I just feel that I'm not sure it's worth the effort of getting out of my old contract and trying to remarket it all over again. Once my buisness sites are all set up, I will concentrate more on my books. Right now it's all education and starting little streams of income that don't cost me money or too much time. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Please stay possitive in your feed back. If what I say doesn't interest you or offends you, you don't need to read it.